Current Affairs Today 31st December 2019
Dear Readers,Next Current Affairs here to provide Current Affairs Today 31st December 2019. Which covers the important national, international news, banking awareness, business news, financial news, etc.
Current Affairs Today 31st December 2019
Lt Gen Manoj Mukund Naravane to take over as new Army chief
- Lieutenant General Manoj Mukund Naravane took charge as the 28th Chief of Army Staff.
- Army Chief Gen Bipin Rawat is due to retire on December 31 after a three-year stint as the Army chief.
- Mukund Naravane is currently serving as vice-chief of the army.
- Before taking charge as vice-chief of the Army staff in September, Lt Gen Naravane was heading the Eastern Command of the Army which takes care of India’s nearly 4,000-km border with China.
- Chief of the Air Staff: Air Chief Marshal Rakesh Kumar Singh Bhadauria
- Chief of the Naval Staff: Admiral Karambir Singh
- First Chief of Defence Staff: General Bipin Rawat
PAN-Aadhaar linking deadline extended till March 2020
- The last date for the mandatory linking of the Permanent Account Number (PAN) with Aadhaar has been extended by Central Board of Direct Taxes (CBDT) till March 2020. The earlier deadline was December 31.
- The Supreme Court, in September last year, had declared the Centre’s flagship Aadhaar scheme as constitutionally valid and held that the biometric ID would remain mandatory for the filing of I-T returns and allotment of the PAN.
- Aadhaar is issued by the Unique Identification Authority of India (UIDAI) to a resident of India.
- PAN is a 10-digit alphanumeric number allotted by the I-T department to a person, firm or entity.
Dhanu Jatra begins at Bargarh, Odisha
- The famous 11-day Dhanu Jatra celebrated as the largest open-air theatre of the world begins at Bargarh in western Odisha.
- The Jatra is based on the mythological story of Lord Krishna and his demon uncle King Kansa.
- Dhanu Jatra is the annual drama-based open-air theatrical performance celebrated in and around Bargarh city is considered to be the world’s largest open-air theatrical festival that finds a mention in the Guinness Book of World Records.
Recently Odisha in News
- Odisha Government has decided to set up 45 fast track courts to expedite the trial of cases relating to women and children.
- Chief Minister of Odisha has launched a smart learning phone application ‘MadhuApp’ for school children.
- National Tribal Craft Mela- 2019 held in Bhubaneswar.
- Odisha tagged with Maharashtra under Ek Bharat Shreshtha Bharat.
India State of Forest Report 2019
- The Ministry for Environment, Forests and Climate Change has released the India State of Forest Report 2019.
- This is the 16th edition of India State of Forest Report.
- Total tree and forest cover in the country increased by 5,188 square kilometre in the last two years.
- According to the report, the top three states where forest area has grown
- Karnataka (1025 km)
- Andhra Pradesh (990 km)
- Kerala (823 km)
- The total forest cover of the country is 7,12,249 sq. km (21.67% of the total geographical area)
- Madhya Pradesh has the largest forest cover in the country followed by Arunachal Pradesh, Chhattisgarh, Odisha and Maharashtra.
- In terms of forest cover as percentage of total geographical area, the top state is Mizoram (85.41%)
Madhya Pradesh gets its 1st elephant colony in Bandhavgarh forest
- For the first time, Bandhavgarh Reserve forest located in Madhya Pradesh (MP), has a colony of elephants who migrated from Chhattisgarh and has stayed on.
- Bandhavgarh is a large reserve forest that has plenty of food and water which is the possible reason for this migration and stay.
Recently Madhya Pradesh in News
- Madhya Pradesh government offers cows for adoption online.
- Music festival Tansen Samaroh began in Gwalior, Madhya Pradesh
- ADB signed $490 Million loan agreement with India for PPP to upgrade Madhya Pradesh roads.
Venkaiah Naidu releases book on Arun Jaitley
- Venkaiah Naidu released a book on former Finance Minister Arun Jaitley on his birth Anniversary, titled- ‘The Renaissance Man-The Many Facets of Arun Jaitley in New Delhi.
Indian Railways introduces New Passenger friendly Information System at Anakapalle Station in Vijayawada Division
- Indian Railways introduced a new Passenger Information System at Anakapalle Railway Station of Vijayawada Division in South Central Railway.
- The Passenger Information system comprises both “At a Glance Display Board” (which gives a glance of the status of various train timings at the Station) and “Coach Guidance Display Board” (which provides the Coach Composition position of a train).
IIT researchers develop material to generate power from water
- Indian Institute of Technology (IIT) Guwahati Researchers have developed materials that can produce energy from water on a small scale to help households support the concept of decentralisation of energy sources.
- The researcher’s nanoscale phenomenon called electro kinetic streaming potential to harvest energy from flowing water on a small scale like water through household water taps.